Recipe Alert: FAT Bastard Rosé with Vanilla French Toast!Jump to Recipe
FAT bastard wines are ‘tickled pink’ that their well-loved FAT bastard Rosé is honoured a Double Gold medal, for the second year in a row, at the 2020 Rosé Rocks competition. Rosé Rocks is South Africa’s first dedicated rosé wine competition which seeks to recognise excellence in rosé winemaking and promote the SA Rosé category.
“Rosé is still one of the fastest growing categories of wine internationally. In South Africa alone, sales have grown annually in double digits in the last few years. This is exciting for consumers and winemakers alike, and there’s no doubt about it, rosé wines have sex appeal,” said the late Allan Mullins, wine expert and industry legend who headed up the panel of judges since the competition’s inception.
In addition to the 2020 Rosé Rocks accolade, The FAT bastard Rosé was also honoured with a Gold Medal at the 2020 Gold Wine Awards and a 2020 Silver Veritas Awards Medal. In fact, these prestigious awards for the Rosé are amongst a notable awards yield for the FAT bastard range of wines from 2020 wine competitions.
FAT BASTARD ROSÉ 2020
There’s so much to love about the Rosé. No other wine embodies the joie de vivre like rosé – it is the nectar of summer.
Enticed by its delightful pale pink colour, rosé inspires laid-back and happy outdoor occasions and combines the light, crisp, refreshing nature of white wine with some of the complex berry flavours and textures of red wine.
Served well chilled, rosé makes the perfect apéritif but it also tops the charts for its food-friendly versatility.
The 2020 FAT bastard Rosé is produced from Cinsaut grapes harvested from the limestone rich soils of the beautiful Robertson valley. The grapes are carefully pressed to extract gentle colour from the skins.
The FAT bastard Rosé entices with a gorgeous salmon pink colour and the ripe sweet strawberry and watermelon aromas are wrapped in floral overtones which follow onto a creamy palate filled with fresh summer berries and ends on a zippy note.
Best enjoyed well chilled, on its own, or with seared salmon, beef carpaccio or BBQ ribs.
Or #LoveLARGE this Valentine’s Day and enjoy FAT bastard Rosé with audaciously delicious Vanilla French Toast!
For recipe and video click on the link below or scroll on…
The 2020 FAT bastard Rosé can be purchased online at https://shop.fatbastardwine.co.za/ and is widely available national at leading wine retailers, retailing at approximately R95 a bottle.
FAT BASTARD RANGE OF WINES AND 2020 WINE AWARDS
In addition to the Rosé, the FAT bastard range includes a Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Shiraz, Pinotage and a Bordeaux-style red blend, The Golden Reserve.
The brand name might be fun, but the wines are serious. This range of nine high quality, fruit-driven, rich and round, food-friendly wines enjoyed substantial recognition in 2020 at a variety of wine competitions.
- The 2020 Gold Wine Awards presented Gold Medals to FAT bastard wines: for the Sauvignon Blanc 2020, Chardonnay 2019, Rosé 2020, Cabernet Sauvignon 2019, Merlot 2019, Shiraz 2018 and The Golden Reserve 2019.
- The 2020 Veritas Awards awarded Silver Medals to the FAT bastard Rosé 2020, Cabernet Sauvignon 2018, Merlot 2019 and Pinotage 2019.
FAT bastard wines, with a delightful story behind their name, have always been delicious and well-loved, since they were created, almost by accident by Thierry and Guy.
When tasting an experimental batch of Chardonnay at the back of the cellar, that had been kept in barrel with yeast sediment longer than usual and had developed a very full-bodied taste, Guy exclaimed in delight amongst a bellyful of laughter, “Well, now that’s a FAT bastard,” perfectly describing the wine’s wonderful colour and round, rich palate.
This tradition of creating full-bodied wines to be enjoyed with bellyfuls of laughs continues today.
“Much like a glass of FAT bastard wine, life should be filled to the brim and enjoyed in large, delicious gulps”.
This is the voice of Mr. b. He’s gold, he’s grand and he lives life at the big end of large! He’s the granddaddy of FAT bastard wines, loving them with great gusto.
The FAT bastard wines can be purchased online at https://shop.fatbastardwine.co.za/ and are widely available nationally, retailing at around R95 (white wines) and R120 (red wines).Print Recipe
FAT bastard Rosé with audaciously delicious Vanilla French Toast!
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup full-cream milk
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla paste / extract with seeds
- ¼ tsp sea salt flakes
- 6 thick slices of challah or brioche
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup almond flakes toasted, to serve
- Pure maple syrup to serve
- Fresh seasonal berries to serve
- Preheat oven to 120°C.
- Lightly beat eggs, cream, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla in a large shallow bowl / baking dish.
- Add sliced bread, turn to coat, then press down gently on bread until you feel it soak up custard mixture. Make sure bread is well soaked.
- Heat some of the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Using your largest spatula, gently transfer the bread from the custard to the pan, letting the excess drip back into the dish.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer pieces of French toast to a metal cooling rack sitting on top of a baking tray and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining slices.
- Serve French toast as two stacks topped generously with toasted almonds and berries.
- Drizzle with plenty of maple syrup and serve with a glass of chilled FAT bastard Rosé.