Winter Indulgence with Roodeberg & Smoked Paprika Chocolate Brownies
Ok guys – I am gonna be totally honest here. I wish I could take credit for this recipe as my closest friends would know this would not come as a surprise if I served them smoked paprika chocolate brownies. They know I literally put smoked paprika in EVERYTHING! When I received this recipe I just had to share it with you!! Yes, trust me this will be a tried, tested and firm favourite in MBKitchen!
So come on get your game on and convert your kitchen into a chocolatier’s winter workshop and wow family and friends with smoky chocolate brownies inspired by Roodeberg’s cherished Classic Red Blend with a story in every bottle for over 70 years.
Created by Ilse van der Merwe, the well-known food writer and TV personality at www.thefoodfox,com, as the perfect winter indulgence with a glass of Roodeberg by the fire, these delicious brownies are coated in rich chocolate and topped with smoked paprika and salt. Best enjoyed with friends following Roodeberg’s lead, these decadent smoked paprika brownies will work their magic with the wine’s smooth palate and aromatic fruity layers with hints of sweet spice and dark chocolate.
“Pairing the right flavours with a particular wine is all about balance. You might be used to the beautiful balance of bitterness and sweetness when it comes to pairing red wine with dark chocolate, but I’ve added three surprising elements: salt, smoke and earthy umami in the shape of smoked salt and smoked paprika. This means we’ve created a dark chocolate brownie with a savoury quality that you’d usually associate with roasts and braaied meats, yet wrapped up in the shape and texture of a decadent, dark, sweet treat – simply heavenly paired with the iconic Roodeberg Classic Red blend,”says Ilse.
Roodeberg has a wide selection of delicious recipes created by well-known foodies. Visit www.roodeberg.com and share them by joining the Roodeberg community on Facebook or follow @Roodeberg_Wine on Instagram and Twitter.
Double Chocolate Brownies with Smoked Paprika & Salt
- 230 g almost 1 cup butter
- 375 g 1 4/5 cup sugar
- 125 g 1 cup cocoa powder
- 10 ml 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2,5 ml 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 3 XL eggs
- 100 g 3/4 cup cake flour
- 100 g 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 80 g coffee flavoured dark chocolate or plain dark chocolate
- smoked salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and position the rack in the lower third of the oven.
- In a medium pot over low heat, melt the butter(do not boil). When completely melted, remove from the heat and add the sugar,cocoa powder, paprika and salt to the warm pot.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed, the nadd the vanilla and one egg at a time, mixing very well between the additions of each egg.
- When the mixture is thick and glossy, stir in the flour (no need to sift) until no streaks remain, then keep stirring for exactly 40 strokes. Now stir in the chopped walnuts. Line a 30x20cm baking tin with non-stick baking paper, then transfer the brownie mixture into the lined tin, edging it evenly into all corners
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until the middle is risen but still very soft (it must look slightly under-baked), then remove from the oven to cool completely.
- For the top layer, break the chocolate into smaller blocks and melt in a small bowl in the microwave at 30 second increments until fully melted.
- Pour over the brownies, then spread evenly allover. Sprinkle lightly with smoked salt flakes and some smoked paprika, then cut into bars/squares when the chocolate has firmed up.
- Enjoy with Roodeberg ClassicRed Blend and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.