RECIPE: Spicy TOKARA Shiraz is a Slam Dunk for Autumn BeetsJump to Recipe
Cooler weather calls for a spicy Shiraz with hearty root vegetables and succulent meat dishes. TOKARA Chef Carolize Coetzee’s flavourful salt-baked beetroot is the perfect autumn comfort food for this Stellenbosch wine estate’s full-bodied premium Shiraz.
“Shiraz is one of those varieties that shows smoother, rounder textures on the palate than the classic Bordeaux cultivars. It is also less tannic and as such is a rather flexible friend in the food pairing game,” says winemaker Stuart Botha.
The new TOKARA Shiraz 2018 vintage is well matched with Chef Carolize’s beetroot recipe, her autumnal take on carpaccio and an excellent side dish for game.
Beetroot is both rich and earthy with subtle sweetness and caramelisation adding intense character for a perfect match with a more full-bodied red such as Shiraz.
“The spiciness of the TOKARA Shiraz matches the anise flavours of the fennel in this stunning beetroot dish, which in turn accentuates the red fruit characteristics of this iconic Rhone grape,” adds Botha
The red fruits in the wine harmonise with the raspberries and the barrel ageing notes marry seamlessly with the toasted walnuts and celery Chef Carolize scatters over the beetroot carpaccio.
“As a rule, beetroot pairs better with reds than with whites and one crazy thing is that the deep red colour of the beetroot fools the brain into believing this too,” Botha quips.
Family recipes, heirloom ingredients and memories conjured up by food, are the heart of Chef Carolize’s cooking. Her take on baked beetroot when paired with TOKARA Shiraz is nothing short of a joyous taste experience. TOKARA Shiraz is available at a cellar door price of R125. For online purchase and delivery after the lockdown, visit https://www.tokara.com/products/.Print Recipe
Chef Carolize’s Salt-baked beetroot
- Food Processor
- Kitchen Mixer
- Baking Try
- Rolling Pin
- Cooling Rack
- 4 medium sized whole beetroot
- 800 grams coarse sea salt
- 3 extra large egg whites
- 500 grams cake flour
- 250 ml water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Blend the salt & flour together in a food processor until fine.
- In a mixer with a dough hook, mix the flour mixture with the egg whites and water until a dough is formed.
- Wash and dry the unpeeled beetroot.
- Roll out the dough until 5mm in thickness.
- Cut into big enough pieces and wrap around each entire beetroot.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven & cool slightly.
- Break open the dough & remove the beetroot.
- Discard the baked dough.
- Peel the beetroot, then rinse & dry with paper towel.
- Cool & slice the remaining beetroot thinly.