Loxtonia Pale Ale and Butternut Soup Recipe is The Perfect Winter Comforter
Experience winter in all its glory in the Ceres Valley with Soup & Cider Saturdays at the Loxtonia Cidery during the entire month of July. With the first snowfall on the upper reaches of the Matroosberg already reported, snow seekers can expect a spectacular Ceres winter wonderland this year.
Be sure to pop in at Loxtonia apple farm, the home of Loxtonia Cider, to warm up with a steaming bowl homemade butternut soup with one or more of their delicious ciders. Made with 100% freshly pressed and naturally fermented home-grown apples, Loxtonia has an award winning cider for every taste from dry and crisp to mellow and tangy, and everything in between. There are even two non-alcoholic ciders for designated drivers.
The beer-styled Loxtonia Pale Amber is the ideal cider to enjoy with butternut soup. Its smooth texture, nuances of caramel and polished apple finish meld beautifully with the soup’s thick and creamy texture and hearty taste.
Having spent over 30 snow-capped winters on their apple farm, the Whitfields of Loxtonia, know a thing or two about keeping snug on the chilliest of days. Their trusty family butternut soup recipe is just what you need when coming to see the snow or on a winter weekend escape from the city.
If you are a keen hiker, build up an appetite before tucking into your soup & cider on a family friendly 6km hiking trail through apple orchards and the magnificent winter mountain scenery.
Starting and ending at the Loxtonia tasting room, the one-hour trail is easy to follow with plenty of direction markers showing the way. After the walk, while the adults enjoy their cider, Alpacas and horses in paddocks adjacent to the tasting room will keep the littles ones enthralled.
Loxtonia’s Soup & Cider is served every Saturday from 10h00 to 16h00 starting on 2 July at R30 a bowl including a bread roll. The Loxtonia hiking trail is open daily and is free for visitors to the tasting room. For bookings, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tel 023-0040930. Stay in the mix by following @loxtonia_cider on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Diary listing information
Loxtonia Soup & Cider Saturdays
Date: Every Saturday in July starting on 2 July 2022
Time: 10h00 – 16h00
Price: R30 per bowl of soup and a bread roll
Venue: Loxtonia Apple Farm, Ezelfontein Road, Ceres
Bookings: Email email@example.com or call Tel 023-0040930
Loxtonia Pale Ale & Butternut Soup Recipe
In the heart of winter nothing beats a steaming bowl of soup to stay snug In the spirit of local and delicious, if you’d rather stay at home during the colder months then this Loxtonia Pale Ale and Butternut Soup could be just what you need.
Obviously a little boozy touch is added to the recipe. Thank you Loxtonia for sharing this recipe with us!
Loxtonia Pale Ale & Butternut Soup
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 cups butternut cleaned & chopped
- 1 large Granny Smith Apple peeled & chopped
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1-2 tsp curry powder
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup Loxtonia Pale Ale
- Grated rind & juice of 1 orange
- A pinch salt pepper & sugar
- A dollop of cream per serving
- Chopped parsley
Gluten Free / Vegan Alternative Substitute Options
- 1½ tbsp Replace Flour with Corn flour
- 3 cups Replace Chicken with vegetable stock
- 1½ cups Replace Milk with Coconut Milk
- A dollop of coconut cream per serving
- Sauté the onions in butter (or oil) until soft and flavourful. Add the butternut, apple, orange rind and juice to the onions to absorb and develop in flavour (about 3 minutes), stirring from time to time. Add the flour, curry powder and nutmeg, blending with the vegetables.
- Add the pale ale, stock and milk. Simmer slowly for 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Liquidise the solids in a food processor or rub through a sieve. Taste, then add salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar. Serve topped with a dollop of cream and a sprinkling of parsley.