French Onion Soup Paired With A Constantia Glen Red – Easing Your Way Into Winter
Sink your spoon into a rich bowl of Constantia Glen’s classic French onion soup paired perfectly with their elegant Bordeaux-style reds. Just like their wine, the hearty onion soup is a real crowd pleaser at the Constantia Glen tasting room. Constantia Glen THREE 2017 is the perfect red wine to enjoy with this rich soup. It stands up particularly well to the intense beefiness loaded with savoury caramelised onions and enriched with hearty beef broth and red wine.
Constantia Glen THREE is a classic blend of the three most revered Bordeaux varieties, Merlot (52%), Cabernet Franc (31%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (17%). The vintage shows the round, velvety texture so typical of this blend, but also has excellent structure and power. Dark fruit and distinct savoury notes are supported by elegant, velvety tannins. This is an opulent, full-bodied wine with vibrant intensity and inherent freshness.
Warm up to a selection of delicious homemade soups and more substantial dishes at the Constantia Glen tasting room. The cosy glass house beckons with a roaring fire surrounded by stunning winter vineyard views. On warmer days take in the sun while enjoying your wine and soup on the veranda or in the outdoor cobbled seating areas.
The soup selection is sure to be a hit with the whole family. Available as single servings or as a trio of smaller portions, visitors can indulge in Constantia Glen’s famous traditional Austrian beef goulash served with Spätzle, French onion soup with croûte au fromage, and delicious roasted cauliflower soup served with crispy, freshly baked bread.
If you are unable to visit the tasting room, try your hand at Constantia Glen’s French onion soup recipe. It’s easier than you think to make this flavourful soup from scratch. Remember to purchase your Constantia Glen THREE online at https://www.constantiaglen.com/order-wine/ for the ultimate winter wine and soup experience.
Constantia Glen French Onion Soup Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1,5 kg white onions thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 litres homemade beef stock or good quality bought stock
- 1 cup red wine or sherry
- French baguette slices
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- Heat a heavy saucepan over moderate heat. Add the butter and oil.
- Stir in the onions, cover and cook slowly for ± 15 minutes until translucent. Add the salt and sugar and stir. Increase to medium high heat.
- Cook for 25 minutes, stirring frequently until dark brown in colour.
- Remove from the heat and add the stock. Bring to a simmer and add the wine.
- Simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
- Taste for seasoning. Prepare melted gruyere toast and serve with the soup.