The Ultimate Summer Sensation: Black Pepper Plum Pie & Roodeberg Classic Red Blend
Summer is the season for juicy, ripe plums – a good time to get creative in the kitchen in concert with Roodeberg’s Classic Red Blend. A Veritas gold medallist, the 2020 vintage of this multi-varietal Cabernet Sauvignon-driven blend is a symphony of textures and tastes that meld beautifully with luscious stewed or baked plums. Aromatic layers of fresh fruit with hints of spice and dark chocolate lead your senses to a mouthful of plums and cedar oak wrapped in silky tannins that linger long after the last sip.
Besides being a sumptuous taste partner with Roodeberg, plums pack a nutritious punch. Rich in antioxidants, potassium and fibre, they are naturally sweet yet low in calories with a low glycaemic index (GI).
Roodeberg inspires a lifetime of stories in every bottle. Be part of this impressive legacy spanning over 70 years by creating your own Roodeberg story with foodie Elmarie Berry’s delicious Black Pepper Plum Pie recipe.
Your friends and family will love this fruity summer pie served with a glass or two Roodeberg of course!
Visit www.roodeberg.co.za or follow @Roodeberg_wine for more Roodeberg stories and recipes.
Black Pepper Plum Pie
- 230 g of butter
- ½ cup of boiling water
- 2 cups of self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 4 plums
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Put all the pastry ingredients into a food processor and blitz until a ball is formed. Wrap the ball of pastry in cling wrap and let it rest in the freezer for 20 min. Roll the pastry out on a surface that has been dusted with flour.
- Line 4 individual ramekins or one large tart tin with the pastry.
- Cut the plums into wedges and cover the pastry with the fresh plums. Sprinkle one tablespoon of sugar and lightly pepper each tart.
- Bake for 25 minutes.