RECIPES: 5 Healthy and Easy Lockdown Recipes
Being stuck at home during the lockdown period can make cooking three meals a day quite a challenge. What’s more, finding ways to create healthy balanced meals can get tedious after a while. Fruits and vegetables are a great source of Vitamin C, and fruit juice high in vitamin C can give you an extra healthy boost.
Try using juice in your cooking, or enjoy it chilled straight from the glass – these easy recipes from Rhodes Quality 100% fruit juices are all high in vitamin C so you can ensure you’re getting some goodness, with a lot of deliciousness. Try these ideas for inspiration: pineapple and passion fruit smoothie, apple juice granola, apple and kiwifruit salad dressing, easy pancakes with sweet orange sauce and a mango sunrise mocktail.
5 Delicious Lockdown Recipes Packed with Vitamin C:
Lockdown Recipe #1: Pineapple and Passion Fruit Smoothie
A perfect refreshing morning start packed with vitamin power.
|INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)||METHOD|
|● 250 ml Rhodes Quality Pineapple Fruit Juice Blend|
● 30 ml (2 Tbsp) Rhodes Quality Granadilla Pulp
● 2 frozen bananas
● 25 ml (½ cup) plain yogurt
|Place the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Juice and the Rhodes Quality Granadilla Pulp into a blender.|
Add the bananas and the yoghurt.
Blend until smooth and frothy. Serve well chilled.
Lockdown Recipe #2: Apple and Kiwifruit Salad Dressing
Fruity and sweet dressing to finish off a green salad. A light side dish with any meal.
|INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)||METHOD|
|● 125 ml (½ cup) Rhodes Quality 100% Apple Fruit Juice|
● 30 ml (2 Tbsp) apple cider vinegar
● 15 ml (1 Tbsp) olive oil
● 15 ml (1 Tbsp) water
● 3 ripe kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
● 1 garlic clove, crushed
● salt and freshly cracked black pepper
to serve: fresh salad greens, sliced cucumbers, sliced avocado, sliced spring onions
|Place the Rhodes Quality Apple juice into a blender along with the remaining ingredients.|
Process until smooth and well blended.
Season to taste.
Chill until serving.
Mix together all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
Pour over the desired amount of dressing.
Toss lightly to mix.
Lockdown Recipe #3: Mango Sunrise – A Quick Mocktail Immune Boost
Non-alcoholic fruit juice punch – a sweet and refreshing drink.
|INGREDIENTS (Serves 6)||METHOD|
|● 200 ml Rhodes Quality Cranberry Fruit Juice Blend|
● 65 ml (¼ cup) sugar
● 500 ml (2 cups) Rhodes Quality Mango Fruit Juice Blend
● 250 ml (1 cup) Rhodes Quality Pineapple Fruit Juice Blend
squeeze of lemon juice
● Ice & fresh mint leaves
|Place the Rhodes Quality Cranberry Fruit Juice and the sugar into a small saucepan.|
Bring to the heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the cranberry syrup coats the back of a spoon.
Mix together the Rhodes Quality Mango Fruit Juice and the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Fruit Juice.
Add the lemon juice and stir well.
Place the ice into a tall glass.
Drizzle in the cranberry syrup to lightly coat the bottom of the glass.
Fill with the mango-pineapple juice.
Lockdown Recipe #4: Easy Pancakes with Sweet Orange Sauce
Goodness and delicious! A simple layered, easy-to-make pancake dessert, filled with fruity bites and cream. Topped with a sweet orange sauce.
● 250 g cake flour
● 10 ml (2 t) baking powder
● 1 ml (¼ t) salt
● 2 eggs
● 125 ml (½ C) sunflower oil
● 5 ml (1 t) vinegar
● 750 ml (3 C) milk
● a little sunflower oil for frying
1. Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together.
2. Whisk the eggs, oil, vinegar and milk together.
3. Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the flour forming a thick lump-free batter at first, then as more liquid is added – a smooth pourable batter.
4. Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan.
5. Turn the heat to medium and pour off any excess oil.
6. Add about 65 ml to 125 ml (¼ C to ½ C) of batter to the pan and swirl the pan around so that the batter settles in an even layer.
7. Cook the pancake for about 2 minutes or until the base is golden before flipping over the pancake and cooking for a further 1 minute on the other side.
8. Transfer the pancake to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
● 500 ml (2 C) Rhodes Quality 100 % Orange Fruit Juice
● 190 ml (¾ C) Rhodes Quality Seville Orange Marmalade
● 19 ml (¾ C) orange liqueur (Triple Sec or Cointreau) (optional)
● 30 ml (2 T) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
● 125 ml (½ C) butter, cubed
1. Place the Rhodes Quality 100% Orange Fruit Juice in a small saucepan.
2. Add the Rhodes Quality Seville Orange Marmalade and heat to boiling point.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened.
4. Add the liqueur if using and the lemon juice.
5. Increase the heat and bring the mixture back up to just below boiling point.
6. Remove from heat and add the butter, one cube at a time, mixing each cube in well before adding another.
● 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Pineapple Pieces in Syrup, drained
● 4 segmented oranges or naartjies & whipped cream
Layer the pancakes in a stack alternating with a layer of the orange or naartjie segments, the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Pieces, and the cream.
Pour the orange syrup over the pancakes and serve.
Lockdown Recipe #5 :Apple Juice Granola
Packed with a high vitamin C punch! A crunchy and delicious granola snack, with a fresh apple pie taste with Rhodes Quality Apple 100% Fruit Juice which is high in vitamin C.
|INGREDIENTS (Makes 4 Cups)||METHOD|
|● 190 ml (¾ cup) Rhodes Quality Apple 100% Fruit Juice |
● 750 ml (3 cups) Oats
● 100g (1 cup) Flaked almonds
● 15 ml (1 Tbsp.) Ground cinnamon
● 65 ml (¼ cup) Brown sugar
● 1 ml (¼ tsp.) Salt
45 ml (3 Tbsp.) Coconut oil
|1. Measure the oats and flaked almonds into a baking dish and stir well to mix.|
2. Add the cinnamon, sugar and salt and mix together well.
3. Add the coconut oil to the tray.
4. Pour the Rhodes Quality Apple 100% Fruit Juice over the oats mixture and stir well until the mixture is wet through and evenly mixed.
5. Bake the granola in an oven preheated to 160°C for about 15 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and stir well to mix.
7. Continue to bake the granola for a further 25 – 30 minutes, stirring at each 10 minute interval, until the granola is golden and dry.
Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Keep the kids busy with this 3-step DIY pencil box:
While you are cooking up a storm, why not keep the kids busy by crafting their own pencil box which will not only upcycle the juice cartons but keep their home-schooling space at home organised:
Step: 1 – Gather your tools:
- An old zip, from an unused item
- Rhodes Quality Juice Box
Step: 2 – Time to cut
Trace a line around the edge of the Rhodes Quality juice box then cut it with your scissors, remember to leave one edge for the hinge part. Ask an adult to help when using sharp objects like scissors.
Step: 3 – Zip Up
Final step, glue the zip to the inner part of the cut box. Fill with all your favorite pencils.
Follow @rhodesquality #ForTheLoveOfTheGreatIndoors for more tips and recipes or visit: www.rhodesquality.com
Recipes and Images received for Press Release!